Friday, September 19, 2008

Whispers of the Mind...

I hope this day finds you with a more mindful look at what you have been investing into the empty pursuit of the ideal body and appearance. More importantly I hope you are more in touch with the possibilities that have eluded you while you've had your eyes fixed on the false promises of perfection.

I've made a commitment to myself and now to you to always do the "homework" that will often be included in each posting. Although I have been down this path before I have found that retracing my steps keeps me headed in the direction I truly desire...that is toward health and personal contentment.

The following two questions are the most important part of any "homework" assignment. 1. What did I learn? 2. How can I apply it to my everyday life? We have all read self-help books or gone to seminars that have such meaningful and insightful things to teach us but when we get home we are at a loss of how to translate that experience into something that will really make a difference. I want this blog to make a difference for you so I want you to always be thinking of how you can apply what you learn.

In terms of the revelations I had regarding the homework...I am always amazed at the amount of thinking I dedicate to being healthy or looking a certain way. How often my mind tends to wander to the area of discontent and criticism...contemplating things like, "How do my legs look in these shorts?, Does the way I'm sitting show my tummy pooch or the squished cellulite on my legs? etc." They are just fleeting whispers that capture my mind and then quickly release, but they are annoying. I must say that since I've become a mom that has really gone down...my mind is often yanked quickly back to the never ending demands, and for that I am grateful. Even though I have made progress I really would like to not even consider my appearance...Is that possible? Would that be possible for you? Could you move through your day giving your weight/appearance no more attention than you give your height? (Now, I know that some of you may be self conscious about your height but typically we don't consider that in our myriad of obsessions about ourselves.)

Sadly I must cut this posting short...as often happens I can hear my baby daughter waking up early from her nap. I will leave you with the follow-up assignment to ask yourself question number 1 and 2 that I mentioned above (if you haven't already done this) and then I want to challenge you with the question I posed at the end of the last paragraph... "Could you move through your day giving your weight/appearance minimal if any attention? Don't just contemplate that question from afar but be a scientist and run an experiment. Try it for one day and see how it goes.

All for now...
Lisa

No comments: